Arnold & Son
John Arnold was born in Cornwall in 1736. His father was a watchmaker and his uncle a gunsmith, which probably explains his early interest in precision engineering and metalwork. A talented craftsman and scholar, he left England for the Netherlands at the age of 19 after completing his apprenticeship to hone his watchmaking skills. He returned two years later speaking excellent German, which stood him in good stead later at the court of George III, and had established himself as a watchmaker of repute in London's Strand by his mid-twenties.
After Arnold presented the smallest repeating watch ever made to King George III and to the court, he rapidly acquired a wealthy clientele. He was one of the most inventive watchmakers of his day and held patents for a detent escapement, bimetallic balance and helical balance spring . Arnold's "No. 36" was the first timepiece to be called a chronometer, a term reserved for unusually precise watches to this day.
Interested in learning more about Arnold & Son timepieces?
Book a private appointment with one of our horological experts or just let us know that you would like to keep in touch regarding special events and brand specific news.
News From Arnold & Son
- Mar 14, 2016 Arnold & Son announces launch of thinnest skeleton tourbillion, the UTTE Skeleton Mar 14, 2016
- Mar 8, 2016 Arnold & Son blasts into outer space with radiating bridges defining the harmoniously symmetrical Nebula Mar 8, 2016
- Mar 2, 2016 Eight-Day Royal Navy Mar 2, 2016
- Feb 17, 2016 Arnold & Son HM Double Hemisphere Perpetual Moon Feb 17, 2016
- Feb 16, 2016 Arnold & Son Soaks Up the Sun at Yachts Miami Beach 2016 Feb 16, 2016
- Jan 14, 2016 Arnold & Son announces a new reference of the Instrument DSTB Jan 14, 2016
- Dec 10, 2015 Arnold & Son Welcomes Top Chef Kevin Fehling Aboard as Brand Ambassador Dec 10, 2015
- Dec 9, 2015 Arnold & Son showcases at Art Basel Miami Beach Dec 9, 2015
- Dec 4, 2015 HM Perpetual Moon Steel Case, Blue Guilloché Dial Dec 4, 2015
- Nov 30, 2015 Arnold & Son Catalogue 2015/2016 Nov 30, 2015
- Nov 30, 2015 Arnold & Son is proud to announce the TEC1 winner of the ‘Best Chronograph Watch’. Awarded during the 11th Edition of the Middle East Premier Awards 2015 Nov 30, 2015
- Nov 4, 2015 Arnold & Son Unveils New Time Pyramid Reference Nov 4, 2015
- Oct 26, 2015 Arnold & Son Announces a New Reference of the Instrument DSTB Oct 26, 2015